Good Pain, Bad Pain

The morning was a little more chaotic than usual for the first day of my weekend. I slept well enough but wasn’t too keen on getting out of bed. Since my kitchen is half gone and my dining room is nothing more than contained chaos, making my breakfast and coffee was a bit of a challenge. I had to find the kettle, the grinder, my French press, a mug, my coffee beans (of which there was not enough!), and my stevia. Everything was in the chaos. The fridge has been pulled from its normal position, so it is blocking passage from the kitchen to the dining room, which means that I had to take repeated treks through the living room to get from the kitchen to the dining room and back to the kitchen. Of course, I wasn’t awake enough to have full mental powers, so numerous treks were necessary to procure everything that I needed. To then discover that I was a little short on coffee beans was pure cruelty.

No sooner did I finish getting dressed after breakfast than a bunch of electricians arrived to begin work in the kitchen. After going over details for 15-20 minutes, I had to leave in order to get to my training session. I walked out the door to realize that my husband had blocked my car in, so I had to wait a couple more minutes before I could get free. My little commute to the gym on a Wednesday morning coincides with the morning “rush hour”, so I was instantly feeling crunched for time. Despite the weakness of my cup of coffee, I felt quite buzzed as I was driving, which really isn’t a pleasant feeling when I’m stuck in traffic. Then I hit a snarl at a major intersection…a car was dead right at the front of the line. Getting past that snarl was an exercise in patience (I really didn’t have any!) and peace (I did manage to allow someone to merge ahead of me! See, I can be nice.) But I got to the gym on time. Barely.

Sometimes Wednesdays feel like the easy day of my training week, but that is likely just perception based on the fact that I don’t really do the main lifts. Certainly I don’t feel like the work is easy while I’m in the middle of a Wednesday session!

I warmed up with some 10 kg kettle bell arm bars and Pallof presses.

1a. supine dumbbell presses

25 lbs x 15, 29 lbs x 10, 29 x 10, 34 x 10

1b. reverse hypers

50 lbs x 20, 70 x 20, 70 x 20, 70 x 20

1c. chest-supported rows

25 lbs x 20, 45 x 15, 55 x 15, 55 x 12

Michael has a new machine/gadget for chest-supported rows. I don’t know how much the bar weighs, so my weight is only the weight added to the bar.

2a. single arm dumbbell push presses

25 lbs x 10 each arm

25 x 9 plus then walking 4 lengths with the dumbbell held overhead. I started with the 25 pound dumbbell, but it was not going well for the walk. Switched to a 20 pound dumbbell for the walks.

25 x 7 plus 20 x 4 lengths

I had to give myself a little mental adjustment when Michael first told me to the walks. I remember how much these sucked the last time I did them, and I knew that they’d suck equally today. I was right, but sometimes I just need to determine that I can do it, even if it isn’t easy or pretty or perfect. The arms were so fatigued that I probably had issues with keeping my shoulder properly packed down, especially in the first set. Michael paid close attention to the last set to make sure that I was doing it correctly. Obviously there is some weakness there that we will need to destroy.

2b. chin-ups with green band and underhand grip

x 6, x 6, x 6

I was actually pleased with these today. The final rep for the second and third set might have been a little tougher, but I would say that these were fairly consistent.

3. yoke walk

185 lbs x 4 lengths, 205 lbs x 4 lengths, 205 x 4 lengths

It has been a long time since I’ve done yoke walks. I like them! The yoke itself is 185 pounds, and today was the first time that weight has ever been added to it for me. Quite honestly, the 205 pounds didn’t feel all that heavy or difficult.

The soreness continues. I have been sore for a week and a half already, and I expect that I will remain sore for at least the rest of this week, maybe longer. I have been warned that I might be doing deadlifts for sets of 10 on Friday. Awesome! If I can’t run, then I may as well get big and strong. The right hip is stiff and sore today. I am not happy about that. I am not happy that yesterday’s run caused such irritation. My chiropractor says that my style of running is bad for my back. That is the disc issue. The disc issue that makes my hip hurt and causes numbness in my big toe. At least the numbness hasn’t flared up again, although I suppose that would happen if I continued to run and made the disc really angry. This is why I won’t be running again for a while. A long while. This makes me sad and angry, but I will take squatting and deadlifting over running any day of the week. As Michael texted me last night when we were discussing the situation, “Glad that you enjoy squatting, you’re ok at it. 😉 Don’t you hold some kind of record?”

I am incredibly blessed to have people in my life who can make me smile and laugh out loud, while everyone around me is wondering what the heck is going on!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s