Back-to-back Sessions

I feel rather good this morning for having such a terrible sleep last night. I fell asleep almost immediately, then woke up about 15 minutes later which is quite normal for me; however, it took an incredibly long time to fall back asleep. My mind would just not shut off, even though there wasn’t anything that I was specifically dwelling on. Kane would snore occasionally which makes falling asleep all the more difficult for me, even with earplugs. It was probably around 1:30 this morning before I finally drifted off to sleep, but it didn’t feel very restful. I woke up at 7:00 feeling tired but otherwise okay. I had breakfast, got dressed, had a cup of coffee, and went to the gym feeling good.

1a. squats

warm-up: all without belt

95 x 6, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 2, 175 x 1

main event: all with belt

195 x 1, 205 x 1 There was a bit of a sticking point and it was a little slow, so instead of going up right away Michael wanted me to do it again…faster. 205 x 1 I think this one was a wee bit better, but there was still a little bit of a stick. So instead of doing a single at 215, Michael had me do one at 210. Again, a bit of a sticking point but I think it was better than the 210 single last Thursday. I’ve got some spring out of the hole and things seem to move quickly once I get past the stick, so Michael thinks I’m not pushing enough with my legs. He’s probably right. I also need to remember that I did deadlifts yesterday and those take a toll. I am definitely feeling it in my low back right now!

1b. bench press


45 x 8, 65 x 5, 80 x 3, 95 x 2

main event:

108 x 1 Although in hindsight, this weight was probably more like 110.5. My next single was supposedly 113 pounds. After I did my single, we weighed the bar and discovered it was actually 115.5 pounds! It wasn’t a perfect rep, but it was a new PR and I’ll take it!

2a. pause squats

155 x 2 for a 1 second pause without belt

170 for 2 sets of 3 with belt. The second set’s pauses were a bit longer than one second. Michael tends to be generous with the pauses. I’m used to that by now and actually expect it.

2b. bench for as many reps as possible

95 pounds x 8 The last rep was quite the grinder. It felt like my right elbow would never lock out, and I lifted my left leg. That rep totally wouldn’t count in competition, but then again only the first rep ever would!

And now things will shift a bit. I’m certain that the days will fly by all too quickly. My trainer is going for a week’s holiday, so training will look quite different next week. I will get a couple of extra days rest, since I will only be training on Tuesday and Thursday. I must say that it will be nice to do my heavy squats on Thursday with a rest day after Tuesday’s deadlifts! A trainer friend of my trainer will be taking care of me those days. I’m confident that he knows what he’s doing and will know what I need to do, but it’s still a little disconcerting to think about doing it without my trainer there. But I don’t have enough time to worry about that until Tuesday…and really I shouldn’t be worried anyway.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s